Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Patriotic Swirl Cookies

So for the 4th of July, I wanted to do something fun. I have so many things pinned to my 4th of July Pinterest board, and it was high time I actually put some of them to the test.

I know that I'm sharing this in August when the 4th of July was in July... but that's how I roll. And you never know! You might want something patriotic for Labor Day!



I used this recipe from Just a Taste to make these Gluten-Free and Dairy-Free Patriotic Swirl Cookies. To make the cookies gluten-free, I used gluten-free flour. To make them dairy-free, I used Country Crock almond oil stick "butter". Using that dairy-free butter gave the cookies a nutty flavor, which was okay, but if you'd rather have something that tastes more like a sugar cookie, you could try the avocado oil stick "butter" or the olive oil stick "butter". (I have since purchased the olive oil version, which was not available when I made this recipe, and I like that one very much.)


This is a time-consuming recipe because you end up making three different doughs: one for each color. And then you have to let them chill in the fridge. And then you have to layer them up and roll them. (As seen in the picture above. Looks kind of weird, huh?) And then you have to slice them, as seen below. (They look much better.)


My cookies didn't turn out as perfectly as the ones in the original recipe. I actually feel like mixing in the food coloring meant that I overbeat the colored dough; it got really sticky and kind of hard to work with. But I still got the red, white, and blue swirls. And that's the most important part!


These were a hit with my daughter. Well, at least for the first few bites. She didn't want to eat any more after that. I have a feeling that if I had used the olive oil "butter" instead of the almond oil "butter", the flavor would have been more kid-friendly.

Would I make these again? Maybe, but I would start making them on July 3 instead of July 4.

I'm actually thinking you could do these for Christmas with red, white, and green. Hmm.

Did you guys do anything fun for the 4th of July?

Comments