Potty Training Episode 6: Return of the Pull-Ups

Soooooo remember when I wrote about how well potty training was going? Well, she started wearing underwear on the days she was at home. For several days we had no accidents. (The fact that she only pees about once per day - not for lack of trying - certainly helped.) But then, we had two accidents in one day.


To those of you who told me, "Just have her pee and poop in her underwear. She won't like that, and she'll learn really fast" this is what I have to say to you: "It didn't work."

Not that I was trying to get her to have an accident. I just wanted to start the underwear transition. I didn't like the idea of her have an accident on purpose in an attempt to "speed up" potty training. So this just sort of happened.

We put her down for a nap, but she didn't sleep. Instead, she played. Okay fine. After awhile she seemed a little upset, and when I checked on her on the baby monitor, it looked like she had dropped a toy behind her bed. So my husband went in to find out what was wrong. Oh, she hadn't dropped a toy. She had peed.

We changed her clothes, changed her sheets, and put her back into her bed to finish her "nap". And we made sure to tell her that if she had to go potty, she could tell us or get out of bed and open the door herself to get to the bathroom.

What happened about 20 minutes later? I finally went in to tell her it was time to wake up (even though she hadn't fallen asleep AT ALL), and she was laying on her big Pello Pillow (which was one of my favorite baby gear finds from work and is pictured above). As soon as I walked in, my daughter said, "I didn't pee, but I pooped. But I didn't do it on my sheets."

No, kid. Instead you did it on the big pillow, which is NOT machine washable.

I had to throw out that pair of underwear AND the pillow. (The pillow had a rip in it and was bleeding stuffing, so it was on its way out anyway, but still.)

Was it bothering my kid to have poop in her undies? Nope. Did it bother her to have pee in her undies and running down her pants? Not really.

I recently heard of a pediatrician who told the parents of his kid patients that formal potty training wasn't really necessary. Eventually, the kids (as all functioning humans do) dislike the feel of poop and pee in their undies, and they want to use the potty. I wonder at what age that "naturally" happens. We have two more years until Kindergarten. Will she get it by then?

I don't know who these kids are who don't like the feel of pee and poop, but right now, my kid is not one of them.

Comments