Month of Ice Cream Ideas

Last month, I decided to do something fun with my daughter. We had a month of ice cream! Each Wednesday we visited a different local ice cream place, and we also played with ice cream toys and read ice cream books from the library.

If you want to do your own "month of ice cream", here are a few ideas.

One of the toys we played with that was a HUGE success was the Melissa & Doug Scoop & Serve Wooden Ice Cream Counter. It comes with eight pretend scoops of ice cream, two wooden cones, a cup, six toppings, a scooper, tongs, a serving spoon, a menu, and pretend money. 


As soon as my daughter saw this, she was obsessed. We frequently take turns playing "ice cream man" and "lady". I'm so glad that I brought this home from work.

Another toy that I saw at work that wasn't age-appropriate for my daughter but would be totally cute for a month of ice cream is Yulu's Oops Scoops. It's a stacking game for ages 4 and up. Kids take turns stacking scoops on top of a vibrating cone. If the scoops fall, you're out!


And then we got lots of ice cream-themed books from the library. The ones my daughter liked best were Ice Cream for Breakfast (featuring Richard Scarry characters) by Erica Farber, Vanilla Ice Cream by Bob Graham, and Should I Share My Ice Cream? by Mo Willems.


We also read Splat the Cat: I Scream for Ice Cream by Rob Scotton, Ice Cream Summer by Peter Sis, and The Little Ice Cream Truck by Margery Cuyler.

I'm sure you can find other books with ice cream as a theme, but these were the ones that we picked. Maybe next year we'll do this again and pick all-new books!

What are some fun things you and your kids are doing this summer? What should our next "month of" theme be?

Comments