The Art of Memoir - Book Review

I read Mary Karr's The Art of Memoir as part of the Simple Scrapper book club. This book was actually the March pick, but I just now got around to reading it. I thought it had interesting connections to the journaling I do as a scrapbooker. I don't want to write a memoir, but maybe I am in a way with my memory keeping. I'm telling bite-size stories with the photos about important events in my life. Many of my stories are "We went here" or "I did this." But I have used scrapbooking as a therapy tool - a place to record my thoughts about friendships, illness, and loss.

My Book of Me albums are probably more memoir than my regular scrapbook albums. In those, I've got layouts about my husband losing his job, my migraines (that I've been dealing with since 2013), my fitness routines, and my thoughts on friendship. I remember that when my mom saw my layout about migraines, which featured black and white photos I took of myself holding my head during a real migraine attack, she had to look away because it made her so sad to see what I was going through. However, I feel that documenting even the bad moments are so important because those moments are part of our lives, too. Sure, I don't put those moments into my regular albums full of zoo trips, birthday parties, and school photos. But they need to go somewhere, and sometimes I just need to get things out of my head and onto paper.

In terms of this book, I feel like if I ever took a class by Mary Karr, I would feel highly intimidated. I wasn't a fan of the way she comes across in her writing. And I know that as a memoir teacher she reads a lot of memoir, but because I have never read the books she references, I definitely felt like I had missed out on some sort of prerequisite class.

There were a few passages that I marked to remember for later. And I've really been loving it when I read a book and it reminds me of another book I've read recently. For instance, in The Art of Memoir, Karr writes, "What would you write if you weren't afraid?" And that's almost the exact same question that Sheryl Sandberg asked in Lean In: "What would you do if you weren't afraid?" Is the universe speaking to me and telling me to not be afraid?

What would I scrapbook if I wasn't afraid? I don't think I'm afraid to scrapbook anything! I scrapbook it all!

Comments