May 2019 To-Read List

Another month, another list of books to read. I'm sure my library is super annoyed with me. I keep checking books out but not bringing any back. I should probably get around to reading some of those books before their due date.


So here is the list of books:

Scott Harrison's Thirst and Julie Checkoway's The Three-Year Swim Club (both BookExpo ARCs) were on my to-read list from April, but I didn't get them read. So I'm carrying them over into May, and we'll see how it goes.

1. Dan Harris - 10% Happier
You know I like my self-help books. I'm sure I read about this in Oprah or Real Simple, something like that. I didn't know who Dan Harris was until I picked up this book, and I've totally seen him do the news on TV! Apparently, he had a nervous breakdown on camera and then underwent a journey to reduce stress without losing the edge that made him so successful at his job. It seems like meditation is going to play a key role in this book.

2. Catherine Lo - How it Ends
This is a young adult novel about the beginning and end of a friendship. I have no idea who or what recommended this book to me, but it's been on my to-read list for almost three years. So I think it's about time I read it. (Do not get it confused with the apparently very bad Netflix film.)

3. Mary Karr - The Art of Memoir
This book was a Scrap Your Way/Simple Scrapper book club pick for this year. I feel like it will not only have connections to scrapbooking but also to the writing I'm doing through the book Is Life Like This? I took a non-fiction writing course in college, so I'm wondering if some of what I learned in that class might also apply to the memoir writing as put forth in this book.

4. Josie Silver - One Day in December
I picked up this book at BookExpo last year but never got around to reading it when it was released. I had wanted to read it in December because, you know, "December" is part of the title, but that didn't happen either. So now it's on my to-read list, and I'm excited for what I think will be a lighthearted story. The main character even has my name!

5. James Clear - Atomic Habits
I've actually started with this book. It was one of the first Scrap Your Way book club picks for this year, but I had to be on a very long waiting list for it at my library. Finally it is mine - until it's due back. I'm liking it so far, and I've already made at least one connection between habit-making and scrapbooking.

So that's what I'm reading! I even did a YouTube video about it. You can watch it here!

What's on your to-read list this month?

Comments