What I Learned Making Cool Whip Dyed Easter Eggs

When I was a kid, we always dyed Easter eggs. And we always used one of those PAAS dye kits. This is the first year that my daughter and I dyed Easter eggs, and I decided to forego the kits in lieu of something that looked a little easier and didn't require the purchase of a special kit.

Cool Whip Dyed Eggs.


I found this on Pinterest from the website Delish. There was a short video clip attached to the pin, and that really caught my eye.

I don't know who figured out that Cool Whip, hard-boiled eggs, vinegar, and food coloring were the perfect combination to dye eggs, but I'm glad they did!


We had a mix of white and brown eggs in our fridge, so I ended up using two brown eggs and six white eggs. I wasn't sure how well the brown eggs would take the color. Some of the brown seemed to be coming off after I soaked the eggs in white vinegar. (You do this for 2 minutes before rolling the eggs in the Cool Whip. The vinegar helps the color stay on.) But, surprisingly, the brown eggs didn't do too bad with the color. Obviously, the white eggs turned out better.


So a few things I learned from this experiment: 1. USE MORE FOOD COLORING! Our eggs were super pastel, which was fine. We could still see the color, and my daughter thought it was neat, but I would have liked our eggs to turn out a bit brighter.

2. Let the Cool Whip come to room temperature before starting. Ours had just been taken out of the fridge and was difficult to spread out.


I think we would have had more success with these eggs had we done those two things. But it's a learning process, especially with stuff from Pinterest.

If you don't mind wasting an entire tub of Cool Whip (and I don't because it tastes gross) and you don't mind getting messy (like SUPER messy - have paper towels handy), then this could be a fun alternative way to decorate eggs this year!

Is decorating Easter eggs one of your family traditions? Leave a comment telling me how you guys are doing it this year!

Comments