Baking with Daphne

Baking with little kids sounds like fun. You're sharing something you like to do with your kid, and in the end, you both get to eat something yummy. In movies, TV shows, and commercials, it's always such a heartwarming moment when moms (or dads) are baking with their kids.

But the reality is that it's a nightmare. It's full of "Don't touch that!", "Don't open that!", "Don't spill that!", and "Don't eat that!" And that's if my kid stays interested long enough to be in the kitchen with me throughout the whole process. I've asked her if she wanted to bake something with me or she's asked if we could bake something, and then I've ended up doing all the work by myself while she plays in her room. (Probably best-case scenario right now. Believe me.)


If she does stay in the kitchen with me, she LOVES to stir. Even when I tell her that she's stirred enough, she still wants to stir.

So here are some of the things we've sort of baked together recently. And yes, everything is gluten-free and can be made dairy-free:

Almond Flour Chocolate Bars from Cook with Manali
These are delicious. Very soft with a nice sweetness from the chocolate chips and a little bit of nuttiness from the almond flour and flax seeds. Even my kid ate one.



Fudgy Avocado Brownies from Easy and Delicious
I didn't get a picture of these because we ate them so quickly. Or rather, I ate them so quickly. I thought my daughter would be excited to make these with me, but instead she ran around the house playing while I did all the work in the kitchen. She ate one brownie, but then when it came time to eating a second one, she said she didn't like it. "It hurts my mouth." Uh, okay.

Banana Walnut Brownies from Delicious Meets Healthy
These are more of a chocolate chip banana bread than a "brownie", but I'll eat it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. If you say chocolate chips and banana bread, it's going in my mouth. My daughter was excited to help me make this but less excited when it came time to eat them. My husband ate several, though!


Snickerdoodle Muffins from the Eat Live Thrive Diet book
I had all the ingredients to make these, so one Monday afternoon, I said to my daughter, "Want to help me make muffins?" She did a good job stirring everything but got a little impatient waiting for the muffins to cook. Once the muffins were ready, she ate most of one. I thought they were fairly good, but you can definitely tell that they are "healthy", if you know what I mean.


Comments