After You - Book Review

For a book that I felt didn't really need to exist, JoJo Moyes' follow-up to Me Before You was actually pretty decent. If you just HAD to know what became of Louisa Clark, then After You continues her story, and it's probably not what you imagined would happen. But once again, there is a little bit of romance (pretty standard predictable stuff) and more of "you have to live life!" sentiments.

I liked the ending of Me Before You because it seemed to be a happy ending, but I suppose that not everyone's happy ending remains happy. Especially after suffering the death of a loved one. When we see Lou again, she's suffered an accident, starts attending group grief sessions, and is working a job at an airport bar instead of actually getting on the planes and going somewhere. I liked seeing her work through her grief, thought the accident bit was a tad much, and did find it hard that she just seemed to give up after being on the right track at the end of the first book.

But then there wouldn't be a sequel, right?

The end of this book seemed very open-ended, and I know that a third book exists, so I don't know if the second and third books were planned at the same time or if the author was responding to even more fan demand.

I will probably read the third book at some point, but it's not high up on my to-read list.

Comments