Things My Kid Likes Playing with More Than Toys

Did anyone else's kids get a buttload of toys for Christmas or Hanukkah this year? And just how many of those new toys is your kid actually playing with?

Before Christmas, we had lots of toys for my daughter to play with. But do you know what she liked playing with the most? Things that were not toys!

1. Mommy's wallet
This one is my fault. When she was a baby, I'd let her hold my wallet just to keep her quiet. It totally worked, especially in the car. But then she learned how to unzip my wallet and take out all of my credit cards and money. She's obsessed with the green library card and my gold Starbucks rewards card. She thinks it's a phone. ?? And yes, I've found my cards in a kitchen cabinet before.

2. Daddy's suitcase
My husband has a carry-on suitcase that is out on display in our bedroom. I can't remember when my daughter figured out what luggage was, but ever since she saw that mini suitcase, she's wanted to carry it around the house. I once had to take it away from her and put her in a time out because playing with the suitcase was making her so upset. She couldn't figure out something with it, and I was just like, "That's it. We're done."

3. Six-pack box of tissues
Recently, I purchased a big pack of tissues. I took it out of the trunk and placed it on the kitchen floor next to our other Target purchases. My Moana-loving daughter decided that this big pack of tissues was a boat and proceeded to sit on it and scoot around the dining room table. I even had to get her a big spoon to use as an oar because, of course, she wanted me to push her around and there is no way I'm bending over and doing that.

4. Old Computer
Instead of my daughter playing with Mommy or Daddy's computer, I broke out one of my old laptops and gave it to her to explore. It doesn't turn on, so she has to pretend that she's doing "important work", as Peppa Pig's mom calls it. This laptop has been jumped on, walked on, colored on, and more. I hope we aren't setting her up for more computer skills down the road.

5. Anything That Belongs to Mommy
My glasses case? She wants it. My lotion? It's hers now. (I once had to search the house for my Aveeno so I could get ready for work the next morning.) If it belongs to me, she wants to carry it around.

What about your kids? Are they more interested in the box than the toy that came in it?

Comments