Gluten-Free Chicken Fried Rice

I gave up eating Chinese takeout a long time ago. Too much MSG, which is a migraine trigger. And now I can't even eat my beloved crab rangoon because it's made with cream cheese. DAIRY. 

But every now and then, I make something that uses a gluten-free soy sauce because I like the flavor and I can control how much gets used. 

The other week, rotisserie chicken was on sale at the grocery store. I don't know about your family, but we ALWAYS have chicken leftovers, and I'm ALWAYS trying to figure out fun ways to reuse it. Because if I don't, then it usually gets forgotten about and thrown away.

So, I turned to my trusty friend Pinterest for some leftover rotisserie chicken recipe ideas. That's when I found Better Than Takeout Chicken Fried Rice from The Recipe Critic. I wasn't sure if this would be a hit with my husband (who has never been big on Chinese food) or my daughter (who is in a "I don't like it. I don't have to try it" phase). But this actually went over really well with both of them. (And it has peas and carrots in it, so vegetables!!)


Okay, so, I didn't follow the original recipe exactly. It calls for one pound of chicken, but I just threw in whatever was left over from our rotisserie chicken, all chopped up. It was plenty. I also didn't cook the chicken in the recommended teriyaki sauce because, well, it was already cooked. Oh, and I didn't thaw my frozen peas and carrots first. I guess I read over that step. Still turned out fine.

This was my first time making chicken fried rice, and it was so easy. And just remember that if you're making it gluten-free, pick up a gluten-free soy sauce. Kikkoman has a great gluten-free teriyaki sauce that can be substituted in a pinch, but San-J actually makes a gluten-free soy sauce that is easy to find.

So don't do takeout this weekend! Just make your own!

Comments