Toy Gift Guide 2018: Best Dolls

The Toy Gift Guide continues this week with a category that is one of my favorites: dolls! I loved playing with my Barbie dolls when I was a kid, and while there are some Barbies on my list, I've included several other types of dolls that are just as fun and will inspire lots of imaginative play.

1. Luciana Vega Girl of the Year 2018 - American Girl, 8+
This doll was a hot seller at the beginning of the year when it was first introduced. But don't worry if you can't get your hands on her. For the first time, Luciana is going to be kept in circulation past her 2018 introduction. I love how this doll promotes science and exploration, showing girls how interesting STEM can be!


2. Barbie Crayola Color Magic Station - Mattel, 5+
Barbie is all about fashion, but what if you could create your own fashions for Barbie? That's what the Color Magic Station is all about, complete with Crayola-branded inks for designing fun airbrush designs on different included outfits. I love how easy this toy was to use and that the inks are washable, so you can keep creating different designs over and over.


3. My Little Pony 35th Anniversary Original 1983 Collection - Basic Fun, 3+
Kids today probably have no idea that My Little Pony existed 35 years ago and that their moms probably played with them, too. But that's where this anniversary collection comes in. Featuring the six original ponies (more figures have also been released), these would be fun collector's toys or just a cool way to introduce some classic pony play to little kids.


4. Barbie Inspiring Women Amelia Earhart - Mattel, 6+
The Inspiring Women collection is all about showcasing strong females in history, and Mattel did a great job capturing the likeness of female aviator Amelia Earhart. This is one that collector's will want, but it's a great first collectible for young girls. Or if you have a mom like mine, you'll take it out of the box and play with it!


5. Barbie Made to Move Baseball Player - Mattel, 3+
I totally wish this Barbie doll had been around when I was kid! Even though I was not athletic at all, I always dreamed about becoming a female pro baseball player. Well, flash forward 30+ years and not much has changed in the real-world in terms of women's equality in sports, but in Barbie's world she's the star pitcher! This doll is super poseable so you can really recreate baseball moves and poses.


6. Barbie Crayola Confetti Skirt Studio - Mattel, 5+
I know there is a lot of Barbie on this list, but as I said before, I loved playing with Barbie as a kid, and there are just so many good Barbies out right now! Mattel and Barbie teamed up again with Crayola for this super creative fashion design studio where kids get to add paper confetti and pom poms to skirts for Barbie. You can even draw and add stickers to the skirts or color in the designs on Barbie's washable top!


7. Disney Princess Comic Collection - Hasbro, 3+
These are available exclusively at Target, and if you're a fan of the Disney Princesses and cool stylized figures, then you'll definitely want to scoop up these dolls no matter how old you are. My favorite is The Little Mermaid set with Ursula, Ariel, and Eric. These are all based on a new series of Disney Princess comic books that bring a more modern-day twist to the princesses' adventures.


And that's my list for dolls! What is on your kid's wish list this holiday season?

Comments