Potty Training: Episode 2: Attack of the Toddler

So our hand was forced. My daughter started in the preschool room at daycare this fall, which was something we were not expecting to happen until she turned 3. But happen it did. Her toddler teacher felt she was ready, even though she was not potty trained. And because she is not potty trained, they told us they would be working on that with her at school.

And for consistency, we have to work on it with her at home.

The first week wasn't too terrible. She had no problems sitting on the potty when I told her it was time, which was about every hour. I read her books and let her bring toys into the bathroom to keep her interested. By the end of the week, she peed in the potty! So we celebrated with ice cream.

But then things started to go downhill.

I had purchased Pull-Ups that got cold when a kid pees in them. This is, according to Huggies, supposed to help the child understand that, "Hey! I peed!" Well, my kid pees in her Pull-Ups and I guess it could feel like Antarctica down there, but she doesn't care. She just keeps on playing and then I don't know she's peed in her Pull-Up until I coerce her onto the potty and change her.

We also have a training potty that plays music whenever liquid hits the sensors. I thought this would be very exciting for her, but the first time it happened, it was like she had no idea that the music had even played.

"You peed in the potty!" I said. "You made the music play! Did you hear the music?"

"Yeah."

She's not easily impressed.

She's also been fighting me about sitting on the potty. I don't want to force her and cause an issue, but I don't know how to "train" her if she never sits on the potty! I've taken to bribing her with YouTube videos to get her to do it and sit there for awhile. (I rue the day we ever discovered Bob the Train.)

Sometimes the bribes work and other times it's meltdown city no matter what. Not even the promise of ice cream IN A CONE is enough to entice her little butt on the potty.

So far this month, she's peed in the potty four times at home. Judging by the daily reports we receive from preschool, she has actually peed in the potty there several times. And she has started to tell me when she's in the middle of peeing. (My favorite has been, "I'm peeing in the bathtub." Alrighty then...) So I guess that's some progress? And eventually she'll understand the feeling of having to pee and be able to tell me when she needs to pee and not when she's already doing it?

Comments