Gluten-Free Lasagna Soup

When I told my husband we were having Lasagna Soup for dinner, he gave me the weirdest look. But what is so weird about Lasagna Soup? Don't you just automatically know what it is by the name: meat, cheese, and pasta in a bowl?

And who doesn't like that?

I found this recipe on Pinterest from A Farmgirl's Dabbles, and it was very easy to make. It was also very easy to make gluten-free. I just subbed in gluten-free penne for the pasta and Kitchen Basics gluten-free chicken stock for the chicken stock.


I know it doesn't look like soup in this picture, but trust me. You will need a spoon. There is this cheesy goodness in the center (Parmesan and Ricotta cheeses), and as it melts, it adds to the broth and gives the soup a more liquid consistency.

The original recipe calls for Italian sausage. I used sweet Italian sausage, but you could use a spicier version if you like. Or if you don't want that much spice, just use ground beef. I also didn't use as much crushed red pepper flakes as the original recipe called for because I didn't want there to be as much spice. I was feeding this to my toddler, after all. (By the way, she loved it. But she loves anything with pasta.)

I also followed the original recipe's suggestion of cooking the pasta separate from the soup so the pasta didn't get soggy. Worked great for us!

It's a big recipe, so if you've got a family of three like me, then you'll have leftovers. Which is perfect for warming up on a busy weeknight! This was a winner in my household. I hope it's a winner in yours! Give it a shot!

Comments