National Donut Day

Happy National Donut Day!

Growing up, we always got our donuts from a local place called Paul's Donuts, and they had such good donuts! My favorite was always the vanilla long john. Now, I don't know if it's just a Paul's thing or a Missouri thing, but there are NO vanilla long john donuts in New Jersey or New York. I don't know why Dunkin Donuts makes chocolate long johns and NOT vanilla. Seems like it would be pretty easy to do. You're already making long donuts with chocolate on top. Why not just make a batch of vanilla icing for the long ones?

But I digress.

In honor of this year's National Donut Day, I decided to break out my donut baking pan and whip up some gluten-free, low-sugar donuts because I have been holding on to this really delicious-sounding recipe for months and I was dying to make it!

The recipe for Coconut-Vanilla Doughnuts (donuts or doughnuts?) was published in American Lifestyle magazine (a magazine that our real estate agent sends us every month), but the recipe can also be found in Ella Leche's Cut the Sugar: You're Sweet Enough Cookbook.

Be prepared to do some grocery shopping because you're going to need ingredients that you might not already have in your pantry. Lucky for me, I already had a huge bag of Sugar in the Raw cane sugar, coconut oil, and all-purpose gluten-free flour. But I did have to buy powdered Stevia. The only thing I could find was powdered Truvia, and that's basically the same thing: a powdered form of a sugar substitute, right?


The one thing I could not find was rice malt syrup. Apparently, you HAVE to buy this at a health food store. My local ShopRite did not have anything aside from maple syrup, so that's what I ended up using. Not so low sugar, huh? It only goes in the icing over the donuts, so you could totally omit that part if you wanted.

Overall, this was a pretty easy recipe to put together. I made it during afternoon naptime. However, you definitely need to let the donuts cool down before removing them from the pan. These donuts are very FRAGILE. Not the same consistency of regular donuts.


Not all of mine turned out pretty (or like the picture in the magazine). But seriously, they were edible! And not just edible, tasty! You'll be pleasantly surprised at how sweet these donuts are even without all the added sugar.

So don't feel bad about indulging this National Donut Day!

Comments