Bella Gluten-Free Review

A few weeks ago, I came home to a box waiting for me on my front stoop. When I opened it up, I found this!



Yes, they may look like pints of ice cream (that's actually what I thought at first) but they are cute containers filled with different gluten-free mixes: biscuit mix, a cookie mix, pizza crust mix, brownie mix, blueberry scone mix, and dinner roll mix! I got to sample the biscuit, cookie, and pizza crust mixes.

But first, here's a little background on the company. Bella Gluten-Free was started by three chefs who wanted gluten-free baking to be safe, simple, healthy, tasty, and fun. So with Bella Gluten-Free mixes, all you have to do is pour, mix, bake, and enjoy. 

These mixes are wheat-free, gluten-free, nut-free, egg-free, peanut-free, lactose-free, casein-free, and non-GMO. And with the exception of the brownie and cookie mixes, everything else is soy-free.

I decided to make the biscuits first so that we could make gluten-free egg sandwiches for dinner one night. What I liked, aside from the cute container, is that the container actually becomes one of the bowls you use for mixing. Pour the mix into a separate bowl and then whisk your egg in the Bella Gluten-Free container! Less clean-up, too!


The biscuits turned out about as well as I expected. I'm not sure I've ever tasted AMAZING gluten-free biscuits. But in terms of consistency and appearance, these biscuits were a pretty good imitation of regular biscuits. Might also have helped if I had served them fresh from the oven, but I baked them in advance because when you have a 14-month-old in the house who won't let you do anything except sit right next to her while she plays on the floor, you have to make things like this during naptime.

For the chocolate chip cookies, I can only go by what my husband and dad told me. I never got to taste one! They both said these cookies were really good. I'm lucky I even got a picture snapped before the cookies were all gone.


The cookies are made in a similar way to the biscuits. Pour the mix into a separate bowl and use the container to melt butter and whisk eggs.

And then there's the pizza crust. This is definitely good as long as you're making it a personal pizza. It's a little small to share. At least, I couldn't get the dough to roll out any bigger. But it was very easy to make (once again!) and easy to top with our favorite toppings. Which are just cheese and pepperoni. But whatever.


The company also makes an All-Purpose Baking Mix for use with any of your from-scratch baking adventures. I received a small sample of that, too, but haven't made it yet. (I'm actually planning on using it in tonight's coconut pancakes!)

All in all, I'd say these new gluten-free baking mixes are a success! I would certainly make the cookies again, especially because I want to try them next time. And I'd love to try out the dinner rolls and brownies.

You can find the products in grocery stores such as Wegman's, HEB, Whole Foods, and World Market. Or if no stores near you carry Bella Gluten-Free (as is the case with me), just order online from Lucky Vitamin. You'll find a store locator tool here and the link to buy online right here. Each one is about $4.99.

Comments