Dark Matter - April Book Club

I got one of my book choices picked for April book club. I read about Dark Matter by Blake Crouch in a magazine shortly after the book came out last year and immediately put it on my to-read list. It sounded interesting, and I think they are making it into a movie.

It's a science-fiction novel about a man named Jason who lives in Chicago with his wife and son. But one night, he's abducted and injected with something. He loses consciousness and when he wakes up, he's in a laboratory surrounded by people he doesn't know. Not only that, but he's in a world where his wife is not his wife and his son has never been born.

What did I think? This book definitely kept me guessing. It's kind of hard to talk about it without giving too much away, so I'll try not to give as many spoilers as I can.

When Jason woke up in this new world, I immediately thought of a TV show from several years ago where a guy goes to sleep in one world and wakes up in another. He lives out his day in the new world, and then goes to sleep and wakes up again in the first world. Part of me wondered if that was what was going on here, but then I kept reading.

What's actually happening is very science-y, and I did feel like some of the explanation went over my head. But I managed to understand the gist of what was happening. It really is kind of mind-blowing.

There is a bit of violence in the book, so if that sort of thing bothers you, I don't think you should read this book.

What did my book club think? All of us enjoyed the book and our discussion often went so far beyond what our minds could comprehend that we had to take a step back and shake our heads. The other three book club members said that this was a book that was outside their wheelhouse, but they were all glad that they read it. They liked that it wasn't too difficult to follow, despite their being some scientific explanations in the middle of it, and that it was a quick read.

Comments