Gluten-Free ANZAC Cookies

Many years ago, I went to Australia and New Zealand on vacation. And while there, I discovered ANZAC cookies. These are deliciously sweet concoctions made with coconut, maple syrup, and oats. Plus a few other ingredients, of course.

Mom and me in Australia with a koala. Still wearing my hair in the same half-up style, but I've evolved from puka shell
necklaces and Blink-182 sweatshirts.
ANZAC stands for Australia and New Zealand Army Corps, and ANZAC Day, which happens in April, is a day of remembrance, kind of like America's Memorial Day and Veterans Day.

April is a far way off, but there is something that justified me making this delicious down under treat in the month of January. Tomorrow is Australia Day, the National Day of Australia! I made some gluten-free ANZAC cookies following this recipe by Healthy Blender Recipes.



I pretty much followed the recipe exactly. I had Bob's Red Mill Quick Cooking Gluten-Free Oats, and those seemed to work just fine instead of rolled oats. And yes, my grocery store did carry coconut sugar! Who knew that coconut sugar was a thing???

You'll notice that because the author of the Healthy Blender Recipes blog is Aussie, the measurements for the butter are in grams and ounces. My American brain had no idea what to do with that, and apparently, there have been no other Americans making and blogging about ANZAC cookies to tell me what to do. So I turned to my trusty pal Google who led me to a conversion website where I discovered that 4.4 ounces of butter was equivalent to 8.8 tablespoons of butter. Still not totally helpful, so I just did 8.5 tablespoons and a little extra for good measure. I know baking is supposed to be exact, but my cookies still turned out fine.


Mine were chewier than what I remember the cookies in Australia being, but I actually like chewy cookies.

Aside from the weird butter measurement, these are super easy to make, and I will definitely be making them again. My husband really enjoyed them, so I think these need to make an appearance more often than just January and April. (Also because I need to use up the rest of that coconut sugar...)

Comments