June - Book Review

What happened in June 1955 has consequences on some of the characters living in St. Jude, Ohio in June 2015. Everything that Cassie Danvers thinks she knows about her late grandmother June turns suspect after Cassie somehow inherits a large sum of money from a deceased movie star claiming to be her grandfather. The movie star's children don't believe it and confront Cassie for a DNA test. What will Cassie learn about what happened in the past and about herself in the present?

I originally heard about the book June by Miranda Beverly-Whittemore from my mom who saw an ad for it in The New York Times Sunday book section. When I saw that the book was available for review through Blogging for Books, I thought I would check it out and then pass the book along to my mom. But she had already gotten the book from the library! Oh well. At least we were able to discuss this book, kind of like our own little book club. And I think it's safe to say that we felt the same way about certain parts of the book.

Right from the start, the book talks about how the house is dreaming and sharing its dreams with Cassie. And I thought that was a little weird.

While I liked the story taking place in 1955, parts of the present day story were a little annoying. I found it hard to believe how a hunk like the character Nick could fall for a size-10 hermit of a woman who apparently never takes a shower.

There's also a part of the present day story where Cassie wonders why she's drawing everything out instead of just taking the DNA test and getting it over with. I was wondering the same thing! Geez Louise!

I have to say, I didn't really see coming what eventually ended up coming. So I liked that the story (again, the 1955 story) kept me guessing. And overall, it's an interesting story. But there were just certain parts of it that I didn't enjoy that much.

I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Comments