Scrapbooking in an Apothecary Jar

When I scrapbook, it's mainly on a page that goes in an album. But when I saw this cool idea from Creating Keepsakes, I knew I just had to try it. Have you ever scrapbooked inside an apothecary jar?

So, the first step was to find apothecary jars, and I was not willing to spend tons of money on one of these things. Of course, that's what it seemed like they were going to cost as I was doing my online shopping. But then I came across a set of three glass apothecary jars from Oriental Trading Company. The price was right. It seemed like the jars would be a good size for scrapbooking. And even if I only used one jar, I would still have two more to use for other home decor ideas or give as gifts.



Once you've gotten your apothecary jar (or jars), you'll need a base for your mini scrapbook page. The original post uses buttons, but I didn't have a button stash. So instead, to fit with the theme of the picture I was going to use, I purchased some sand, a wooden lighthouse statue, and some river rocks. The sand and lighthouse came from Michael's and the river rocks came from Christmas Tree Shop.


It took me awhile to figure out the best way to organize everything inside the jar. I had originally wanted to do something with two photos but had to cut it down to just one photo due to the large size of the lighthouse statue. (I had wanted a smaller one but couldn't find it.)


Once I figured it all out, I made a VERY simple, lightweight scrapbook layout. I simply cut my photo down to size, backed it with some kraft cardstock, and added a sticker in the corner. If you're using a larger apothecary jar, which you might want to do, then you'll have more room for a larger scrapbook layout.



This is also a great way to display other memorabilia you might have to go with your scrapbook layout. Maybe you're using a picture from a vacation and want to include some of the ticket stubs or other ephemera you saved during your trip. That would be a great idea!

I didn't have anything like that to go with my picture. But I did write on the lighthouse statue with the name and location of the lighthouse that was in the picture so that I would always remember.



The Creating Keepsakes post also suggests using stabilizers like wire, blocking pins, or clothespins. You might not need these, but if you're unsure, it's probably best to have these on-hand as you're creating so that you don't have to make a quick craft store run when you least expect it. I just adhered one corner of my picture to the lighthouse statue just to make sure that everything stayed intact.

What do you guys think of this new way to scrapbook?

Comments