Gluten-Free Buttermilk Blueberry Cupcakes



What do you do when you have leftover buttermilk?

If you're me, you end up watching Valerie's Home Cooking on Food Network and remember that you once cut out a recipe from Woman's Day magazine featuring Valerie Bertinelli's recipe for Buttermilk Blueberry Cake.

And then, when you also realize you have blueberries in the freezer, you decide on the spur of the moment to make this recipe.

Of course, if you're me, you have to make it gluten-free. And if you're me, you don't have enough gluten-free all-purpose flour. So you cut the ENTIRE recipe in half and instead of making a cake, you make cupcakes. (Thank God you DO have cupcake liners in the pantry because, if you're me, you hate handwashing cupcake pans.)


So how is my version different from Valerie's, aside from the fact that I turned a cake into 12 cupcakes? Well, you won't need many adaptations to make this gluten-free.

1. The biggie is substituting regular flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour.

2. Instead of lemon zest, I just used bottled lemon juice.

3. I didn't roll my blueberries in extra flour (because I ran out of flour). Despite the blueberries sinking to the bottom of the cupcakes, the cupcakes turned out just fine without doing this step. Still tasted good!



This recipe was super duper easy to make. If you do cut the recipe in half, make sure you cut the cooking time in half, too. The original recipe calls for cooking the whole cake 70 minutes. Obviously, you'll need half that time to cook half of that recipe.



Just look at those plump blueberries inside this cupcake! I know that "cake" is in the name of the recipe, but I feel like because it has blueberries, it's totally a breakfast food.

Comments