Stuffed Mushrooms with Rice and Cranberries


While looking through my What to Eat When You're Pregnant book, I came across a recipe for week 31 called Stuffed Portobello Caps with Wild Rice, Cherries, and Pecans. I knew it was not something I could serve my husband because he would look at it and think it was weird. So I decided to make it for myself for lunch.

I did have to adapt the recipe a little based on what I had on hand. The original recipe calls for wild rice, but I used Minute Rice Multi-Grain Medley rice, which is gluten-free and includes brown rice, red rice, and wild rice. I also used dried cranberries instead of dried cherries. And I left out the pecans because I didn't have any chopped pecans in the pantry.


So here is my adapted version of the recipe:

Ingredients:
4 Portobello mushroom caps
2 eggs
1/2 cup Craisins (which are gluten-free!)
1 package of Minute Rice Multi-Grain Medley
1/8 tsp black pepper
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Cook the rice according to package directions (in the microwave is fine).
3. While the rice is cooking, wash your mushrooms and make sure the stems are removed. Then place the mushrooms gill side up on a baking sheet.
4. Once the rice is done, stir in the pecans, Craisins, black pepper, salt, and eggs until well mixed.
5. Spoon the rice mixture into each of the mushrooms.
6. Bake the mushrooms in the pre-heated oven for 25 minutes. Serve the stuffed mushrooms warm.


Even without meat, this was very good and very filling. Although, if you wanted to, you could add cooked sausage to the rice mixture. You could also fill smaller mushrooms with the rice mixture and serve these as appetizers or hors d'oeuvres at a party. There's a somewhat similar, if not more complicated, recipe here.

Comments