Gluten-Free Football Truffles


Speaking of game day snacks, I made my husband a special treat for football season. I found the original recipe on Homemade Hoosier, but I, of course, had to adapt the recipe to make it gluten-free and to use ingredients I had on hand. Thankfully, it was super easy to do!

Ingredients:
1 package of Glutino Chocolate Sandwich Cookies (or whatever gluten-free brand you prefer)

1 package of Nestle Tollhouse Chocolate Chips (I used dark chocolate chips because it was what I had in the pantry.)

1 8-oz package of cream cheese, softened

1 container of gluten-free icing/frosting (I used Duncan Hines Classic Vanilla. It says "gluten-free" right on the container.)

baking sheet

Parchment Paper or Freezer Paper

Directions:
1. Crush up the sandwich cookies in a food processor (or put the cookies in a sealed Ziploc bag and hit it with a rolling pin) until you get fine crumbs.

2. In a large bowl, combine the softened cream cheese with the cookie crumbs. (I found that using a rubber spatula worked well.)

3. Line the baking sheet with the Parchment or Freezer Paper.

4. Using your hands, take sections of the cream cheese/cookie mixture one at a time and roll little balls. Then sort of roll the ends of each ball until they resemble a football. Place the football on the lined baking sheet. (While you're making these, they will look like little pieces of poop. Work past that, people! Soon they will be chocolate-coated with icing on top.)

5. Once you've rolled all the cream cheese/cookie mixture, place your "footballs" in the freezer for at least one hour to help the mixture set.

6. After an hour, melt your chocolate chips by placing them in a microwave-safe container and microwaving them for 30 seconds, stirring, and then microwaving for 10-second intervals with stirring in between until the chocolate is smooth.

7. Take the "footballs" out of the freezer and, one by one, roll them in the melted chocolate and place them back on the baking sheet.

8. Put all the dipped "footballs" back in the freezer for about 10 minutes until the chocolate is set.

9. Scoop some of the icing or frosting into a zip-top bag, close it up, and make a VERY tiny snip at one corner of the bag. It needs to be small enough so that when you squeeze out the icing, you'll get a nice thin line.

10. Remove the "footballs" from the freezer, and use the icing in the bag to "draw" thin white lines on the truffles to resemble the lacing on a real football.


Yes, my finished truffles look messy and not at all Pinterest Perfect. But that's the beauty of my blog. I am not Pinterest Perfect and neither are you and neither are most people. I think I did a good enough job with these. My husband knew they were supposed to be footballs, so it didn't really matter that I snipped my Ziploc bag corner too big and couldn't get a nice thin line of icing squeezed out. And who cares if the chocolate coating was a little uneven? It tasted great!

A bit of warning, these are RICH! If you put these out for your party guests, they will probably only be able to eat one and they will probably ask you for a big glass of milk. So be prepared!

Also, because these have cream cheese in them, I kept my truffles stored in the fridge when not eating them. 

Comments