Gluten-Free Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots


A co-worker made this and posted a picture on her Facebook page, and it looked so good that I just had to get the recipe from her and try it for myself. But as with every recipe I seem to come across these days, a few adaptations have to be made. 

So, for those of you who don't have a grocery store that sells fingerling potatoes or who don't want to use fresh rosemary, here's the lazy person's guide to making Gluten-Free Chicken with Potatoes and Carrots, as adapted from this recipe over at Southern Living.

Ingredients: (serves 4)
4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dried thyme (The original recipe calls for fresh rosemary, but I didn't even have any dried rosemary. I figure, whatever seasonings Simon & Garfunkel sing about together are interchangeable.)
12-oz. package of baby Yukon Gold potatoes, halved (These will probably only be available in a 24-ounce bag, so you'll have to save half of the potatoes for another meal.)
6 small carrots with tops (I see no reason why you couldn't just use baby carrots. I also don't understand why the tops have to be left on, but whatever.)
1/2 a sweet onion cut into four wedges
cooking spray

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 375-degrees Fahrenheit. Rub or toss the chicken thighs in a bowl with 1/2 tbsp. olive oil.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the thyme (or rosemary), salt, and pepper.
3. In another bowl, stir together the carrots, onion wedges, and potatoes with the remaining olive oil and 1/2 tsp. of the salt mixture.
4. Spread the potato mixture on a foil-lined baking sheet that has also been sprayed with cooking spray. Place the chicken thighs on top two to three inches apart. Sprinkle the remaining salt mixture on each chicken thigh.
5. Bake for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reaches 170 degrees when inserted into the thickest portion of chicken.


I had no trouble cooking the chicken thighs in our oven. After one hour, the chicken was 180 degrees, so it was cooked perfectly. The vegetables were also roasted to perfection, too!

The only thing is, I do not like cooked carrots. I only like raw carrots. So the carrots in this recipe just didn't do it for me. BUT the potatoes were AWESOME. I would eat these potatoes roasted like this all day every day. I actually seasoned up the other half of the potatoes from our 24-ounce bag and roasted them up like this with a grocery store rotisserie chicken later in the week.


Despite the long cooking time, it was an easy meal to prep. It would be a great weekend meal, but I wouldn't attempt it during the week due to that one-hour cook time. We just don't have the time for that sort of thing when we're both getting home from work after 7:00. But whenever you have the time, I'd recommend making it! It's also sort of healthy, right?

Comments