PB & J Pie with Walkers Gluten-Free Shortbread Cookie Crust


One of the vendors I visited at the GFAF Expo was Walkers Shortbread. I had heard of this company before, and you may have, too, but did you know that now Walkers makes gluten-free shortbread cookies?

There are three flavors: pure butter shortbread, chocolate chip shortbread, and ginger and lemon shortbread. Like Walkers' original shortbread, the gluten-free shortbread contains the same butter and sugar content, but the wheat flour is replaced with a blend of rice flour, maize flour, and potato starch. This allows the gluten-free shortbread to keep that same great buttery taste as the original but in a way that's safe for those with Celiac or gluten intolerances to enjoy!

The gluten-free shortbread is certified by the UK Coeliac Association and meets the FDA standard for gluten-free, which is to have less than 20 parts per million of gluten.

Each box of nine cookies retails for $4.99 from the Walkers website, and you can also find it in retailers across the country. (As always, if your favorite store doesn't carry the gluten-free shortbread, ask the store manager to carry it!)



So, because the chocolate chip shortbread was my favorite (it's chocolate - what's not to like??), the kind Walkers Shortbread PR people sent me two free boxes of the chocolate chip shortbread. I could have just eaten the cookies on their own or dipped them in a hot chocolate or tea, but I thought, "Why not do something different?"

It somehow occurred to me that I could crush up the shortbread and use it to make a no-bake gluten-free pie crust! A stick of melted butter mixed with 1/3 cup of sugar and 14 cookies all crumbled up, and I put this in my freezer to firm it up!



Once I had that made, I just needed the perfect filling! What goes well with chocolate chip cookies? Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches! A classic kid's lunch turned into a pie. I used this PB Berry Pie recipe from Everyday with Rachael Ray as the filling for my pie crust. Again, this all required NO BAKING, so it was super easy.


I might have made the sides of the pie crust a little too thick, which is just something to keep in mind when you're placing the crumb mixture into your pie dish.

As you can see, there are many ways to enjoy Walkers gluten-free shortbread! How would you enjoy yours?

Comments