The Four-Tool Face

A recent conversation at my house:

Me - "I still have to put on my makeup before we leave."
Husband - "You don't have to put on makeup. You look fine without it!"

While I appreciate that my husband thinks I look good without makeup (we'll see how long that lasts as I approach old age), the truth is that I like wearing makeup!

For me, wearing makeup isn't a hassle or a chore. (Finding the energy to remove it after a long day when all I really want to do is fall into bed is another story.) I'm not trying to hide anything. (I actually have pretty good facial skin, thank you very much.) And some days, I do go out without makeup. (Making a ShopRite or Target run really doesn't necessitate much effort.)

I just like wearing makeup!

At work, I do a lot of on-camera work, and without makeup, you can look washed out, especially if you have pale skin like me and have to stand in front of a white backdrop and behind a white table.

But even when I'm not at work, I just like wearing makeup because it enhances what I've got. Blush gives my pale skin some color. Eyeshadow and mascara make my aqua-colored eyes stand out more. (FYI, the DMV does not accept "aqua" as an eye color.)

My makeup routine also takes all of five minutes to do, and that's if I'm going to work, going to book club, or going to a wedding. I use Cover Girl TruBlend liquid foundation. Then, I apply Almay eye shadow for blue eyes. (They make three color palettes for blue eyes, and I rotate through all three.) Then I apply Maybelline Great Lash mascara in brownish-black. And then it's blush, which right now is Cover Girl blush in Rose Silk.

Usually, I just swipe on Burt's Bees lip balm before I walk out the door. Before I go on camera at work, I'll use Revlon ColorStay Ultimate Suede lipstick in Finale (red) to give me a little more oomph under those bright lights.

But beyond that, it's easy and simple. When I say things like, "Oh, I still have to put on my makeup," I'm not complaining about doing it. And I guess I don't really HAVE to put on my makeup. But I want to! I like to!

What about you?

Comments