Homemade Cadbury Creme Eggs


No foolin'! I actually made my own Cadbury Creme Eggs.

I used this tutorial from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen as my guide. (Instead of chocolate candy melts or almond bark, I just used mini semi-sweet chocolate chips because that's what was in my pantry. The recipe doesn't get very specific on how much chocolate you need, but I'd say to melt up at least half a bag of chocolate chips.)

What's the verdict?

Well, I spent $2.79 on a box of four Cadbury Creme Eggs. I spent $0 on making about 12 of my own eggs because I already had all the necessary ingredients. So, from a financial standpoint, the homemade ones win!

From a taste standpoint... well...

First, I took a bite out of a regular Cadbury Creme Egg. If you've ever eaten one of these, you will hopefully understand their delicious appeal. Just look at this ooey gooey yolk center encased in hard chocolate:



Next, I took a bite out of one of my homemade eggs. It had a similar taste to the real Cadbury Creme Egg, but it wasn't exact. The yolk wasn't as runny, the hard chocolate shell wasn't as thick, and my hand-rolled eggs were not as pretty to look at.


BUT, the more I ate my homemade eggs (and yes, I ate almost all of them myself despite the fact that they were gluten-free and my husband could have helped me eat them), the more I came to like my homemade eggs! They aren't an exact copy of the real thing, but they are still yummy.

Would I make them again? I don't know. It took a long time to make them, so even though it's more cost-effective to make them yourself, it's just easier to buy the real ones at the store. But it was a fun experiment!

Have you ever made your own Cadbury Creme Eggs? Would you ever?

Comments