And then I thought, "I could make that myself."
So I did.
I call it Pizza Pot Pie. Here's what you need to make it:
1 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese
one package of gluten-free sweet Italian sausage (I use Premio brand.)
Pillsbury Gluten Free Pie & Pastry Dough
1 23-ounce jar of pasta sauce (or pizza sauce)
1/2 package of pepperoni, chopped (You'll have to do the chopping by hand.)
gluten-free cooking spray
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Remove the sausage from its casings and brown it in a skillet over medium-high heat. Make sure you break it up into smaller pieces as it cooks.
3. Once the sausage is no longer pink, add the chopped pepperoni and the jar of sauce to the skillet and lower the heat. Once the sauce is heated through, after just a minute or two, turn off the heat.
4. Spray a nine-inch pie pan with the cooking spray.
5. Take half of the gluten-free pie dough and knead it in your hands until it becomes workable. You can attempt to roll it out into a circle that will fit in the bottom of your pie pan, but I find the Pillsbury Gluten Free Pie & Pastry Dough to be really difficult to work with that way. I just used my hands to press it out into a circle in my pie pan. (Even though it's difficult to work with, it's got such a great taste and texture when cooked, so it's well worth the effort.)
8. If you're able, crimp the sides of the pie dough. Then, use a knife to slice two lines into the top of the pie dough.
9. Bake the pie for 20 minutes. Take it out of the oven, slice it up, and eat it!