TBT - Old CD Mixes: Love to Love Ya Vol. 2

started off 2006 with a road trip to Colorado
Because I'm sure you have all been wondering what kind of music I was TOTALLY in love with in the year 2006 when I was a senior in college/graduating from college, I'm sharing with you a mix CD I made around that time. This is one that I recently pulled out of my "mix CD" CD case and have been listening to a lot on my commute to and from the bus stop. (It's so nice to have an automobile CD player that works.)

The name of this mix is "Love to Love Ya Vol. 2". I was making, like, my own Time Life series of mixes or something, compiling all of my all-time favorite songs (at that point in my life) onto multiple CDs. I think I got to volume 6, but I can tell that I was really stretching it.

So, without further ado, here is volume 2 of this series, complete with little comments to explain or defend myself and YouTube links so you can take a listen:

1. Love Machine - Girls Aloud (At this point in my life, I wasn't listening to as much British music. I didn't even subscribe to the is-it-or-isn't-it-a-real-teen-British-magazine Sugar. So I have NO IDEA how I discovered this exquisite gem of sugary bubblegum girl band pop.)

2. Bohemian Like You - Dandy Warhols (God, I still love love love love love love this song.)

3. Somebody Else's Song - Lifehouse (Lifehouse. I guess this was a highschool holdover.)

4. She Don't Love Me Like You - The Magic Numbers (I don't know where this one came from. I've never seen this band in my life.)

had a somewhat The Life Aquatic-inspired spring break
5. I Wish - Drain sth (Some Swedish - or something - all-girl metal band that a friend turned me onto in high school. I listened to this album NON-STOP. NON. STOP.)

6. Rocks - Ben Jelen (Couldn't find a video for this one, which is a shame. My friend Teresa and I were pretty into this hot pianist.)

7. I'm So Sick - Flyleaf (Don't be fooled by the pretty-boy pop music above. I was pretty hardcore. Even if it was for Jesus.)

8. Taxi Cab Messiah - kidneythieves (I wanted to create a modern dance routine to this in my modern dance class senior year.)

9. Parting Gift - Fiona Apple (The album Extraordinary Machine came out during my senior year in college, and I first heard it as a DJ at my college radio station. This song is my favorite from the album.)

10. Sister in Love - Envelopes (Another band that I don't have any recollection of.)

11. Nowhere Again - Secret Machines (Did I have a stroke that no one told me about that caused me to forget where I first discovered some of these songs?)

12. Pantera Fans in Love - Nerfherder (As a Star Wars fan, how can I NOT like a band with this name? Especially when the band makes such catchy songs?)

played lots of Sorry over bagels with Alicia
13. Jetsetter - Morningwood (I was so obsessed with this band's debut - and probably only - album in college. I even wrote a review of the album for my magazine writing class. Granted, the review was not my best effort, but I was so blinded by my love for this CD that I didn't notice. I also didn't notice the reference in the band's name, so I most likely missed A LOT in the actual lyrics to the songs. I just liked the sound and singing along.)

14. By All Means Necessary - Robbie Williams (Robbie Williams ALL THE TIME.)

15. TKO - Le Tigre (This is a good song, but the band also does an awesome cover of The Pointer Sisters' "I'm So Excited".)

16. Feathers - kidneythieves (Mix CD faux pas - two songs from one band? I guess I just couldn't wait to put this on volume 3.)

17. Instant Messenger - Muse (Oh, the kids these days have no idea what this song will be about. Instant message, what? Is that like texting?)

18. The Widow - The Mars Volta (One of the few songs that I liked by this band.)

19. For the Rest of Us - Lorene Drive (I really liked this CD. I should give it another listen.)

graduated from Truman and still miss midnight Pancake City runs
& Burger Buck night at Ryan's


Comments