The Pioneer Woman's Veggie Lasagna Rollups Made Gluten-Free


If you read this blog, you know I like to cook. But that doesn't mean I'm an amazing cook or never make a mistake in the kitchen. In fact, the other week, I almost blew up our microwave trying to cook soup because I misread the instructions and thought you could cook the soup in its package in the microwave. Turns out, you can EITHER cook the soup in its package OR cook it in a microwavable container in the microwave.

Oops.

But that's not what today's post is about. Today's post is something that I made the same week I almost blew up the microwave, but it turned out much better even if it did make a GIGANTIC mess in my kitchen.

Today's post is about The Pioneer Woman's Veggie Lasagna Rollups, something she made on her TV show a few weeks ago when she was making a bunch of freezer meals for a family member. Normally, I like meat in my lasagna, but I was intrigued by the bounty of colorful veggies in this recipe and the fact that you get six individual servings from just one afternoon of cooking. For our two-person family, that's three meals!



You can find the original recipe at the link above. The only thing I had to do to make these gluten-free was use gluten-free lasagna noodles. The veggies are naturally gluten-free, and the other ingredients are, too, but make sure you read the labels just to be on the safe side.

A few tips: chop up all the veggies BEFORE you even start anything else. There are a lot of veggies to chop, and it takes a lot longer to do than you'd think.

Tip No. 2: This recipe says to use a large skillet. Well, even your largest skillet will not be large enough. You've got to whip out your saute pan if you have one. The raised sides will keep all the veggies inside the pan and not all over your stovetop.

Tip No. 3: I didn't have white wine, but I did have white wine vinegar, so that's what I used instead.

Tip No. 4: We have another lasagna rollups recipe that doesn't involve vegetables but is also pretty good, but I just don't make these things that much because cooking the lasagna noodles, especially gluten-free ones, is just so hard! I really don't have much of a tip here, except to say to just keep an eye on the noodles in your pot and don't mess with them too much or they will break, and then they aren't really of use to you for your rollups. I had a couple noodles break, but there were still enough good noodles to fill up all six of my aluminum foil pans.

Tip No. 5: If you want to use meat in these, you totally could. You could replace the filling and sauce of this recipe with the filling and sauce of your choice!

Comments