4 Tips for Making Cards

easy Halloween card!
Happy Sunday, everybody! You're getting a bonus weekend post because today is World Card-Making Day! I'm sure there are tons of card challenges and activities happening in the bloggy world today. Is anybody participating in anything fun?

Today, I wanted to share with you some tips on how to make your own cards. I love making my own cards because it's a nice way to use up spare embellishments and scrap paper, and everybody loves receiving a unique, handmade card.

But some people don't like to make their own cards, and I totally get it. Scrapbooking is easy because you have lots of space, you're working with pictures, and it's just easier to envision a scrapbook layout than a card layout, which is smaller and has no pictures.

Here are some things, though, that can make card-making easier, especially for beginners.

1. Martha Stewart Crafts Deluxe Scoring Board with Paper Trimmer
I wrote about this ingenious tool last year after using it at a media event to make a super cute Halloween treat box. And I finally picked one up for myself at Michael's the other weekend (it was on sale!!!) to make card-making easier for myself. With this tool, you've got your regular paper trimmer (always important), but you can also fold cardstock into cards of different sizes, make your own envelopes out of cardstock, and create cute card embellishments. It comes with everything you need, including card and envelope templates, to get you started.




2. Pre-folded Card Packs
If you don't want to make your own cards or envelopes, buying these pre-made card packs is the best option. You get a number of blank, pre-folded cards and blank envelopes, and then you can decorate them however you want. I found mine on sale at T.J. Maxx. I would highly recommend searching T.J. Maxx and Marshall's for stuff like this because they can be unnecessarily expensive at a regular craft store.



3. Stamps
Stamps are a lifesaver! I highly recommend buying stamps with common sentiments, such as "Happy Birthday", "Thank you", "Merry Christmas", "Happy Halloween", etc. You can stamp these on the inside of your card and/or the outside. The stamps are reusable, and you can change up the color by buying different colored stamp pads.


4. Pinterest
Still have no idea where to start when it comes to making a card? Get on Pinterest! There are tons of great card ideas out there. I've got a couple of them pinned on my Scrapbook/Cards board. I always go there first (whether scrapbooking or card-making) before I start.

Hope these tips help! If you've got any other card-making tips, please share them in the comments below.

Comments