TBT - All I Wanted Was a Bratwurst

This week's Throwback Thursday is again taking us WAY back. These pictures are from summer vacation 2013, though I only recently scrapped them. These are pictures from our lunch stop in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Frankenmuth is a German town in Michigan (also known as Michigan's Little Bavaria) that is also home to the world's largest Christmas store. (More on that later.)

We first stopped at the Frankenmuth Brewery, where I was very excited to enjoy a bratwurst. We also got to sample some of the brewery's homemade root beer. (I ripped off the root beer bottle label so that I could save it for my scrapbook. My mom asked me if that was legal. I ripped off her label, too.)


Well, I didn't get to sample the bratwurst because, due to a kitchen fire, we were unable to get our food or eat there at all.

So off we went to another restaurant called Tiffany's. Tiffany's had a pretty cool ceiling and it also had bratwurst, so I did get to eat bratwurst, which was good, but by that time I was hungry and cranky and it was past my lunchtime so I ended up getting a migraine later. JOY OF JOYS.

My husband wasn't on this vacation with me, so I didn't have to worry about finding gluten-free restaurants. But if you look at Tiffany's menu, you will see that the restaurant offers a gluten-free pizza crust. Pretty cool, right? Well, no. If you follow the asterisk next to the words Gluten Free Personal Pizza down to the bottom, you'll see that the gluten-free crust is not for people with gluten allergies. The same goes for the restaurant's gluten-free wraps.



*sigh*

So, then who is the gluten-free pizza at Tiffany's for? Why even offer it if people who must live gluten-free because of an allergy or autoimmune disease can't eat it? Because it's trendy? Honestly, either do it right or don't do it at all! There are plenty of other local restaurants out there that DO do it right, and those are the restaurants that my husband and I will frequent when we're traveling.

If you don't need gluten-free food, then I would recommend eating at Tiffany's and giving the Frankenmuth Brewery a shot. I'm sure the kitchen fire has been taken care of by now.

Comments

  1. Tracey Baker, Tiffany'sJuly 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

    Hi Laurie,
    My apologies for the misunderstanding about our gluten free items. What should have been stated on the menu is that eventhough the items are gluten free, they are prepared in a kitchen that is not. Any individual that would be extremely intolerent to gluten needs to know that eventhough we try our utmost best, it is possible that the item might come in contact with a gluten item. Please forgive the miswording.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment