Father's Day Cookies

A couple years ago, I received a cookie cutter set with some rather unusual cookie cutters in it, i.e. a bowtie and tie. I wasn't really sure when I was ever going to make cookies in the shapes of bowties and ties, and then it hit me.

Father's Day cookies!


So that's what I decided to do this year for my dad. (Don't worry. By the time this posts, I'll have already given him the cookies. Surprise not ruined.)


He's so hard to shop for. He never seems to need or want anything. But cookies are something that I can make for him, and who doesn't ever want or need cookies?


I was also very excited about these cookies because it meant I got to break in my new KitchenAid stand mixer! I left the mixer running and ran out to the living room to inform my husband that I was mixing cookie batter without my hands! He was not as excited as I was.


I used the recipe on the back of the Nestle Toll House chocolate chip package, but instead of dropping balls of cookie dough onto a baking sheet, I followed these directions, also from Nestle, to cook one big sheet cookie. Once my sheet cookies (I made two) cooled, I used the cookie cutters to cut out the shapes.

Some notes:

1. I did not make these cookies gluten-free, but you could certainly use a gluten-free cookie recipe and do the same thing.

2. After cutting out the cookie shapes, I was left with a lot of random cookie odds and ends. I just threw them in a Tupperware container and plan on eating them. All of them.

3. Be careful because the cookies are very soft, and depending on your cookie cutter, the cookies may break. I had that issue with the tie-shaped cookie cutter. The bowtie cookies held up a little better.

4. You could decorate your cookies with frosting or icing, but I decided not to because I knew the frosting would just get smushed in my bag. These cookies had to be easily transportable.

What are you doing for Father's Day? Don't forget, it's this Sunday! Happy Father's Day!

Comments