Two for One Weekend Recipes

Get ready! I've got two meals for you to make this weekend. One is a slow cooker meal, and the other is so easy you might be able to make it during the week.

First up, Barbecued Beans and Turkey Joes. This slow cooker recipe (ideal for a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker) is based on the Skinny Ms. recipe for Barbecued Beans and Chicken Joes.

Instead of ground chicken, which my grocery store didn't have, I used ground turkey. You could also use ground beef if you're not concerned about red meat intake. The original recipe also calls for green peppers and onions, but I left those out to keep this a low-spice meal for our acid reflux.


So basically, I made this with ground turkey, ketchup, honey, pinto beans, Great Northern Beans, and a little bit of salt and pepper. I cooked mine on high for about 4.5 hours instead of on low for longer, mainly because I forgot to get this started as soon as I got home from the grocery store. Still turned out great, and it's really good as leftovers. Serve on toasted gluten-free buns with fries and you're golden.

Next up is Chicken Picatta Pasta from A Spicy Perspective, or my version of Chicken Picatta Pasta.
Instead of using fresh chicken, I used Perdue Short Cuts Chicken Breast, which greatly affected how this recipe is made. So basically, while the pasta is cooking, I melted the butter in the skillet and threw in some mushrooms. Mushrooms are not part of the original recipe, but I just thought they would be a great addition.

I didn't use capers, onion, rosemary, garlic, or parsley. But don't worry, this didn't turn out bland at all.

After the mushrooms cooked for a few minutes, I added two tablespoons of gluten-free all-purpose flour, a little bit of lemon juice, and about 1 cup of gluten-free chicken broth. Stir it all together, and the sauce around the mushrooms starts to thicken. When the pasta is done, throw it in the skillet along with the chicken and heat through for a few minutes.

Actually, a little grated parm on top would have been nice, as well. Next time, I'll also make sure that I have some dried parsley just to add a bit more flavor and color.

Whether or not you make one of these or both, use my adaptations or the originals, I hope you enjoy! Happy eating!

Comments