Redbox Instant - Review

For the past month, I was able to try out a free month-long trial of Redbox Instant by Verizon as part of a BzzAgent BzzCampaign. I had fun using Redbox Instant, and I'm going to tell you why.

You may already be familiar with Redbox. You go to a Redbox kiosk, pick a movie to rent for around $1, rent it, watch it, and return it to any Redbox kiosk. Super easy and convenient, right?

image credit
Well, what if you could also access and watch Redbox movies online whenever you wanted? With Redbox Instant by Verizon you can!

An $8-a-month subscription gets you four DVD credits to use at more than 35,000 Redbox kiosks nationwide as well as unlimited online movie streaming. You don't have to be a Verizon customer to use Redbox Instant, but you do need high-speed internet to access the streaming.

And if you use the online streaming, you don't have to watch your movie on a computer. Redbox Instant works with most internet-connected devices, such as Roku, smartphones, tablets, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and select Samsung and LG smart TVs and Blu-Ray players.

I already knew from past experience that renting Redbox movies from the kiosk was easy, and my experience this time using the four DVD credits was no exception. I just logged into my Redbox Instant account online, browsed the kiosk I wanted, reserved the movie, and then picked up the movie. When we were done watching the movie, we just returned the movie to any Redbox kiosk and received a "return receipt" email from Redbox by the time we got home.

The online streaming was a new experience for me, and it was very easy to use, too. I logged into my Redbox Instant account, searched for available movies to stream instantly, picked the movie, and pressed play. I only watched the movies on my computer. My husband had tried to use the online streaming through a different device but couldn't get it to work, for some reason. I had no problems accessing the streaming on my computer.

I was able to watch In Cold Blood (recommend), The Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood (should really buy that movie), and Pumpkin (Christina Ricci should never be a blonde). While I enjoyed the ease and convenience of having so many movies at my fingertips, the sound quality on these movies playing through my computer was not great. There were no buffering issues, which was nice, but the volume on the movie player was up all the way as was the volume on my computer, and I still had trouble hearing the sound. Not sure if that is an isolated incident or if other people are also having that problem. It obviously didn't make me too excited about wanting to continue using the online streaming, at least through my computer.

I also didn't feel that the subscription plan was that worth it for us. If each Redbox movie is about $1 and we'd pay $8 a month, I'd expect to watch about eight movies a month or more. But we don't really have time to watch eight or more movies a month, so it almost makes more monetary sense for us to rent Redbox movies whenever we have time. That's just something for you guys to consider if you're thinking of subscribing.

If you're interested in trying out Redbox Instant by Verizon, check out redboxinstant.com. The free month-long trial is open to EVERYONE!

Happy movie-watching!

Comments