One Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta

Okay, so this recipe started from this One Pot Cheesy Smoked Sausage & Pasta Skillet and became my own One Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta. It's not that I don't like smoked sausage because I DO. But we are trying to eat less red meat, and so I thought why not use chicken instead?

I've gotten really into using Perdue Short Cuts Original Roasted Chicken Breast. It's gluten-free, and the chicken is already cooked, so it's perfect for a weeknight meal when there is not a lot of time to cook chicken. (Plus, I just hate cooking chicken.)

So, if you want to make the original recipe, be my guest. But here's my very adapted version:

Directions:
1. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil to a sauté pan. Add half a package of Perdue Short Cuts Original Roasted Chicken Breast to the pan and cook for about five minutes until the chicken is heated through. (If you want a lot of chicken, you can use the whole package.)

2. Add a 12-ounce box of dry gluten-free pasta (I used rotini), 1 cup of heavy cream, and three cups of gluten-free chicken broth (or enough broth to cover the pasta). Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, and lower the heat. Simmer the mixture for 10 minutes until the pasta is tender.

3. Turn off the heat. Stir in 1 cup of shredded cheddar-jack cheese. Sprinkle another 1 cup of shredded cheddar-jack cheese on top and allow it to melt. Serve and eat.

If you want to add some chives on top for extra flavor and color, that would be a great idea! I left them off of ours in order to cut down on the spice. In addition to cutting out red meat, we're also trying to cut out on acid reflux triggers.

This makes about four servings, so we had some left over. It was very good the second and third day, or so my husband told me. He was the one who ate it all!

Comments