Good Eats



Oo, you're getting a two-in-one blog post today. I've got a food-related scrapbook page to share with you, PLUS I made some gluten-free salmon fish sticks that I want to share.
It really is a "good eats" day.

First up, the scrapbook page. What you see to the right is a page I did of the yummy lunch my mom and I ate at the Grand Hotel's lunch buffet.

We had a three-course meal and everything was SO GOOD. That buffet was stocked. There was so much to choose from, which is why I piled my plates so high. I wanted to try it all! (My pants didn't really want me to do that, but whatever.)

That was a really good lunch, and this scrapbook page was really easy to put together. I tweaked one of my favorite three-picture sketches and broke out a bunch of stuff from my stash.

Okay, and now onto MORE FOOD. One of the other recipes we've made from out Gluten, Wheat & Dairy Free cookbook is salmon fish sticks. Our grocery store had Wild Alaskan Salmon on sale, so I thought that was the perfect opportunity to try and make the fish sticks. This is what I was working with:
 
 
What a beast!! The only problem with it was that it wasn't skinless, and I had a REALLY hard time trying to remove the skin. I think next time, I will just go to the fish counter and order something fresh and ask them to remove the skin for me. They'll do that, right?
 
(I kind of feel sad having to ask that, but in this day and age, who really goes to the meat/seafood counter anymore? Everything just comes in prepackaged portions!)
 
Anyway, because I had trouble removing the skin (or is it scales?), my fish sticks weren't exactly sticks. But they were still delicious!
 
The fish is just dipped in a cornmeal and paprika mixture, and then fried up in a large skillet filled with a few tablespoons of oil. For some reason, I felt very southern making these, especially after looking at the picture below. I don't know. It just reminds me of southern cooking.
 
 
 
My husband was a BIT skeptical when I told him we were having salmon fish sticks, but I think I won him over with these. The texture of both the cornmeal crust and the cooked salmon inside was almost like eating chicken fingers, except without the chicken! What a tasty way to get some fish into our diet. And it was gluten-free!
 
How do you like to eat fish? What's your favorite fish to eat?
 
 

Comments