Buttermilk Blackberry Breakfast Cake

We love eating breakfast for dinner, so the other night, when I had extra eggs and bacon to use up, I decided to make breakfast for dinner. But we can't just have eggs and bacon. If we're going to do breakfast, then we have to do it right! Go big or go home!

I have a great gluten-free blueberry muffin recipe, but I wanted to do something different. In my December Hatchery box, I received a trial size of Meso Nutso's blackberry extract. When I looked online to get recipe ideas for it, one that caught my eye was Buttermilk Blueberry Breakfast Cake. Now, obviously, that is for blueberries and blueberry extract, but I just subbed in blackberries and the blackberry extract.

It was also easy to make gluten-free. Just use gluten-free all-purpose flour. My favorite brand is Bob's Red Mill, and it's only $3.99 at my local grocery store.

One other thing I changed about the recipe was the lemon zest. Instead, I just poured a capful of lemon juice into the mix.

Something else you guys could do to change it up is use coarse sugar (like Sugar in the Raw) to top the cake instead of regular sugar. Sugar in the Raw would add a more crystallized look to your finished cake and more of a crunch. I think I'll do that next time.

Enjoy!

Comments