Meal Plan Monday (sort of) - December 23

Well, my friends, the holidays are here. If I gave you this week's real meal plan, it would be pretty boring. I think we're only making food ourselves one night this week! And that night would be my 30th birthday dinner. Per tradition, we're making Meatballs and Rice, and I feel bad because I've mentioned this meal before but never shared the recipe.

I think it's time.

Note: This recipe is not gluten-free, but you can easily substitute regular beef broth for gluten-free beef broth or beef stock. Glutino also makes gluten-free bread crumbs. I have been told that it doesn't taste the same, but I've eaten both versions, and I don't notice a difference.

Ingredients:
1 egg
1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 cans beef broth
1/4 tsp pepper

Directions:
Beat egg slightly in large bowl. Add beef, crumbs, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Combine and form into balls. In dutch oven (large pot), heat broth to boiling. Add meatballs. Lower heat and poach gently for 15 minutes, turning once. Remove meatballs from broth and set broth aside to make the gravy.

Gravy Ingredients:
3 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp lemon juice

Gravy Directions:
Stir cornstarch with water to make a smooth liquid. Once meatballs have cooked and been removed from the broth, add the cornstarch mixture slowly to the broth, and stir with a wire whisk until the sauce thickens. (The sauce will be thin.) Stir in the lemon juice. Simmer for five minutes.


We're also going to serve green beans and buttermilk sage biscuits. For dessert, a two-tier gluten-free vanilla cake with chocolate frosting that will hopefully have some cool decorations on it courtesy of my Cake Boss lesson and Cake Boss tools.

Whatever you're eating this week, I hope it's with family and friends and that you have a Happy Holiday!

Comments