Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps

It's a well-known fact that we enjoy Mexican food at our house. We can't eat Taco Bell anymore (well, one of us can't) due to food allergies, so it's nice to make similar stuff at home every once in awhile. This recipe for Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps, from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, is one such recipe.

I first found the recipe on Pinterest, and the pictures of the chicken wraps made my mouth water. I'll be honest, my wraps don't look like the ones from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, but they tasted just as great as Mel's did, I'm sure.

I made some changes to this recipe in order to make it gluten-free and suit our tastes. First off, CORN TORTILLAS. Warm them up in the microwave following the package directions so that they are a little easier to work with. Corn tortillas have a tendency to rip apart quite easily, so warm them up a little bit first. Also, don't overfill the tortillas. I always have such a hard time determining just the right amount of filling, and then my tortillas (as you can see in the picture) end up ripping apart when I cook them, even though I warmed them up first. Practice makes perfect, I guess. One day I'll figure it out.

I cooked our wraps on our George Foreman grill. Worked out great! Now that we have a grill with removable and dishwasher-safe grilling plates, using the George Foreman is SO MUCH EASIER.

I also left out the peppers and chiles and most of the crazy spicy things. Basically our filling was rice, shredded Colby Jack cheese, chives, sour cream, black beans, and chicken. (I poached the chicken, btw.) There's also salt, garlic powder, cumin, chili pepper, and a dash of red pepper flakes mixed in.

We had tons of filling leftover. I had it the next day for lunch in hard taco shells. So there are several other ways that you can continue eating this meal without having the same exact thing every day. Enjoy!


Comments