What Did You Read as a Kid?

I came across a post over at Children's Books Guide listing the 100 Best Children's Chapter Books. It's amazing how many of these books I read as a kid! So, I thought I would wax poetic about some of the books on the list.

Of course, practically all the Harry Potter books are listed. That's a no-brainer! And my husband will be happy to know that several Roald Dahl books also made the list.

Then you have classics such as Charlotte's Web, which I think I read in 6th grade, and The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, which I didn't read until high school. I still never made it through that whole book series.

The Phantom Tollbooth is in the top 10. A few years ago, my husband and I read that book with our middle school summer book club! We also read The Lightning Thief, which makes the list farther down, and I have to say, I loved that book! The rest of the books were pretty good, with, I think, the exception of the second to last book. Don't even waste your time on the movie, though.

Last year our book club read The Graveyard Book, which I HATED!

I'm glad to see that The Hobbit made the list. Although, I didn't read that book until college.

My mom will be pleased to know that Anne of Green Gables made the cut. We read that whole book series together when I was a kid.

And Hatchet!! Did any one else read that book in elementary school? I don't even remember what grade I read it in, but how could I forget that book cover? The same goes for Island of the Blue Dolphins. No clue when I read that book, but I totally remember reading it.

Number the Stars is also on the list. I really liked that book!

I remember reading The Little House on the Prairie books on my own when I was in third grade. Never got into the TV series, though.

And I was so excited to see that Sideways Stories from Wayside School made the list!! I was beginning to think that I was the only person who knew that book! I actually found it at a garage sale years ago and bought it because I remembered enjoying it so much in elementary school.

I also read Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret. Having your period isn't fun. Reading about it is even less so.

And then you've got The Boxcar Children (why did they live in a boxcar??) and one of the Nancy Drew books. I had a few Nancy Drew books. I think my aunt bought some of them for me.

How many of the books on the list do you remember reading as a kid? Is your favorite book on there?


Comments