Come to My Table

It's been a few weeks since I finished reading the book Bread & Wine by Shauna Niequest, and parts of that book are still lingering with me. Take this passage for instance, which totally sums me up:

One friend promises she'll start having people over when they finally have money to remodel. Another says she'd be too nervous that people wouldn't eat the food she made, so she never makes the invitation. But it isn't about perfection, and it isn't about performance. You'll miss the richest moments in life - the sacred moments when we feel God's grace and presence through the actual faces and hands of the people we love - if you're too scared or too ashamed to open the door. - p.109

our broken dining room table set/catch-all space
I can't let not having a squeaky clean house and perfect kitchen prevent me from having people over to eat. I can't let our too-small dining room table with its two broken chairs and two not-broken chairs prevent me from inviting our friends into our space.

You read this blog. You know that I love making food. I love eating food, too.

I also love food words. Puff pastry. Chicken apple sausage. Crusty. Flaky. Sea salt. Caramelized. Mousse. Goat cheese.

And I share some of this with you through pictures and posts on this blog. But I don't share enough of it with any one in person. I don't bring people into my home to cook for them and spend time with them around a table of nourishing food.

Do I wish I had a bigger and not broken dining room set? Heck yeah! (And preferably one that looks something like this.)

Do I wish that we had an L-shaped sofa downstairs in the family room so that more people could sit and hang out around the TV and play games together on the Wii? Of course!

But we have what we have, and it's just gotta be enough for right now.

Comments