Bacon Mushroom Swiss Meatloaf

So I've been going through my Recipes/Food board on Pinterest, and I am determined to start from the bottom of my board and work/eat our way up to the top. We are starting with Bacon Mushroom Swiss Meatloaf.

The only thing I had to do to make this gluten-free was use gluten-free corn flakes. You can't buy (or at least they don't sell them at my grocery store) gluten-free corn flake crumbs, so I just poured the flakes into a plastic Ziploc bag, closed the bag, and crushed them up by hand. I guess I could have also used my mini food processor, but I actually think it's broken. (Hint hint for Christmas/Birthday, anyone. But this time, how about a BIGGER food processor? Oh yeah. Mama needs a REAL kitchen.)

Also, I did not cook my bacon in a skillet. I used the microwave. (Speaking of "real" kitchens...) So I wasn't able to cook the mushrooms and the onion in part of the bacon grease. Instead, I just poured a bit of olive oil in a skillet, and while the bacon cooked in the microwave, I cooked the mushrooms in the olive oil and let it soften up.

I also didn't use an onion. Instead, I just sprinkled some onion powder over the mushrooms and cooked them in that.

ALSO, I don't have a meatloaf pan. So I just lined a baking sheet with foil and placed my loaf of meat on top of that. The fat just drains down the sides and onto the foil, so there's really no draining involved. And it kind of makes clean-up easier.


As you can see, I don't much like hassle. Chopping an onion=hassle. Cooking bacon in a skillet=hassle and time-consuming. Anything I can do, or that you can do, to make cooking easier and take less time just makes LIFE easier.

Oh, and we had fresh corn on the cob as a side. I'm super obsessed with fresh sweet corn this summer. I can't wait to get to the Farmer's Market (or the sketchy roadside stand) and buy it REAL fresh. Yumyumyumyum.

Comments

  1. This sounds yummy, I gotta remember to add bacon to my next meat loaf. Thank you so much for you wonderful comment on the October Afternoon blog, I really Really appriciate it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment