A Sketch Lets the Imagination Take Flight

I'm finally getting some more summer 2012 vacation pictures scrapped with the help of sketches to jumpstart the creativity. It's so hard for me to look at 10 4x6 pictures and figure out how to crop them, rearrange them, and make them all look nice on a two-page layout. Working with just one or two pictures per page is so much easier! (Maybe I should keep that in mind the next time I take 50 pictures at one museum, tourist location, etc.)

So I enlisted the help of my good friend Pinterest. I have a whole Scrapbook/Cards board on Pinterest that I like to scroll through from time to time to see if anything I pinned once catches my eye again and can work with the pictures I'm trying to scrap.

So while scrolling, I came across this sketch from Scrapbook.com. When you look at my finished layout below, you'll see that I didn't follow the sketch to a T. I couldn't. I didn't have the exact same size photos as on the sketch. But I did make it work (and I did toss two pictures that I just didn't have room for).

I liked the placement of the photos on the first page, and pretty much followed that as precisely as I could given what I was working with.

For the second page, I decided that I kind of wanted to recreate the first page but in a different order.


And I really wanted to incorporate the visitor's guide we picked up while at the Museum of Flight, so I actually cut out the descriptions of the different areas of the museum that were printed in the guide and put them next to the corresponding pictures on the layout. There wouldn't have been enough room for the guide to be on its own and available for opening up, so I was happy that I at least got parts of it on the layout in some way. It was almost like they made that guide specifically for scrapbookers. Ha!

But seriously, if you are ever in Seattle, definitely visit the Museum of Flight. My husband and I took the city bus to the museum (but you can also drive if you have a car/rental car). We didn't have a lot of time to look through the museum because we had an Amtrak train to catch later that afternoon, but we made the most of the time we had there. The museum is MASSIVE and has lots of interactive features for adults and kids. Seriously. Anytime I can climb into part of the exhibit is a happy time for me.

When we were there, a space shuttle simulator was being set up, so we didn't get to do it. We were a little disappointed, but I guess that just gives us something to go back for, right?

Comments