Hakuna Frittata

Get it? Instead of "Hakuna Matata" I wrote "Hakuna Frittata"? Yeah.

Mushroom and Zucchini Frittata

We got our vegetables with dinner the other night thanks to the Mushroom and Zucchini Frittata recipe from the Faster! I'm Starving! cookbook. (Gotta love breakfast for dinner!) No surprise, this dinner took no time to make and was really easy to put together. As the name suggests, you put chopped up mushrooms and zucchini in this frittata. It also involves either grated Parmesan cheese (what we used) or crumbled feta cheese (which would probably be AWESOME). You'll also need olive oil to coat the pan, eight eggs, salt, and pepper. The recipe called for a chopped onion, but I just threw in some onion powder because I was too cheap and lazy to buy and cut an onion. I know my husband likes meat, so I also added some leftover breakfast sausage to ours.

Look at all those lovely fillings!
Because of copyright issues, I can't post the full recipe here, but if you've ever made frittatas before, then you'll know how easy they are. And you can really put just about anything in them. It's sort of like making an omelet, only you bake or broil the frittata. We cooked ours for five minutes on low heat on the stovetop until the bottom of the eggs set, and then we put the pan under the broiler for two minutes to finish setting the eggs and brown the top. (Make sure you're using an oven-safe pan. Also, after you take the pan out of the oven and put it back on the stovetop, try to remember that even though it is a pan, it just came from the oven and is HOT so you'll need to use oven mitts when handling it. Why do I have so much trouble with that?)

This serves four, so we ended up with leftovers. Reheated, this will make a nice quick weekday breakfast.


Comments