What's for Dinner?

Easy Crockpot Potato Soup
I thought I would just do a round-up of some of the new meals we've been eating lately. First up, Easy Crock Pot Potato Soup. Was it easy? You betcha! Although, ours turned out more like mashed potatoes than soup. But that's my fault. I couldn't find gluten-free cream of chicken soup, so I made my own from scratch (You can find the recipe here - just use gluten-free chicken broth and gluten-free all-purpose flour or cornstarch to make it gluten-free.) and I don't think I made enough. So that is definitely something to consider for next time. And there will be a next time!

I wish I had taken a "before" picture because seriously, I was getting worried that the frozen hashbrowns you use in this recipe instead of potatoes would not work. But after 5.5 hours of cooking, it was so creamy and thick! Top with shredded cheddar, some bacon bits, and chives and you're good to go!




Cheesy Taco Bake
We also ate a really delicious Cheesy Taco Bake. It was super easy to put together, although I used six-inch corn tortillas instead of eight-inch flour tortillas. I wanted to use the new Udi's gluten-free tortillas, but Whole Foods never has what I want when I want it.

This thing has three layers. Instead of using one eight-inch tortilla as a layer, I used two and a half six-inch corn tortillas as one layer to make sure I was filling up my pie pan. Then you layer the meat and cheese mixture, do another tortilla layer, more cheese/meat, another tortilla layer, and top it off with the rest of the meat/cheese. Bake and enjoy!



Lemony Pasta
And one night when my husband wasn't home, I made for myself Martha Stewart's Lemony Pasta with Goat Cheese and Spinach. The sauce ended up a little thinner than I would have liked, and lots of people on the recipe link commented that the pasta needed something more, like salmon or something. I thought it was pretty good on its own. I was just happy that I found a recipe on MarthaStewart.com that was easy to make!

I think where I really went wrong with this was in halving the recipe. Because I was only making it for myself, I didn't want to have any leftovers. But somewhere in the calculations it just didn't turn out as perfect as I had hoped. Still, it was good, and it was nice to be able to eat regular pasta for a change!

Comments