Soup's On!

I have my grandmother-in-law to thank for this recipe. She always gives me her old magazines to read, so it was in the October 2011 issue of Woman's Day that I found a recipe for Italian Pasta & Bean Soup.

This was so easy to put together and took less than 30 minutes to make. We served it with some gluten-free bread (and a grilled cheese sandwich for my husband, who does not survive on soup alone).

I made quite a few changes, though. Here is my adapted version that makes 3 servings:

Ingredients:
1/2 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tbsp. onion powder
salt & pepper
1/4 tbsp. garlic powder
3 cups gluten-free chicken broth
3/4 cup uncooked gluten-free pasta (I used penne because we had just the right amount left over from another meal.)
1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans, rinsed (I like Rienzi because the can says "gluten-free".)
1/2 of a 14.5-ounce can of diced tomatoes in juice (I don't know if they make 8 ounce cans of this.)
1/4 cup dried chopped parsley
1/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion powder, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring for just a few seconds. Add the garlic powder, stirring, another few minutes.
2. Add the broth and pasta and bring to a boil. Cook until pasta is tender, 8-10 minutes.
3. Stir in the beans and tomatoes and cook until heated through, about two minutes. Remove from heat and stir in parsley. Serve with Parmesan on top.

Oh yeah. I only had 2 cups of chicken broth, so I just did 2 cups of broth and 1 cup of water. Still worked okay. So if you find yourself in a pickle like I did, don't worry.

Comments