A Happy Accident - Book Review

A Happy Accident by Evan Tyler starts off with the death of a little girl's mother. This intrigued me because I wanted to know what happened to the mother. Unfortunately, that part of the story was not told in this book, and I know that A Happy Accident is just the first in a three-part series, so perhaps the second book will explain the first one's prologue?

The story that is told in A Happy Accident is that of Bobby Carter, lead singer for a band called The Dare, who falls in love with a girl named Kindle. (And believe me, reading about a girl named Kindle on my Kindle was surreal.) Bobby and Kindle get married on a whim, although Kindle only does it because she thinks it's all a joke and that Bobby won't actually go through with it. Well, he does and they do and they end up married, living in Kindle's small apartment in Manchester, England. As Bobby and his band try to make it big, we see Bobby and Kindle's relationship grow. They come to accept being a married couple and are really very happy, but The Dare's impending fame and groupies threaten it all.

The book also goes back and forth between present and past in order to give readers a glimpse into Bobby's and Kindle's lives as children, so readers can get a better understanding of why the characters are the way they are today (or in 1980 when the book takes place). Most of these time transitions were smooth, but there were a few times when I wasn't immediately sure what decade I was in.

There are also times in the book when the author gives you a glimpse of the future, which I didn't really like. If this was just a stand-alone book, then fine. But there are supposed to be two more books, and I feel like telling us stuff about the future kind of ruins the surprise. I'm sure there's a lot more to the story than the little glimpses of the future we get in this book, and I have to admit, the future of this story does sound tempting.

And not to be nit picky, but as an editor, I couldn't overlook the typos in this book. I'm a big stickler for that!! But who knows? The author asked me to read and review this book. Maybe she'll ask me to edit the second book before it gets published! I would gladly take the opportunity to have a first read at the second book, A Blind Choice, and help further Bobby and Kindle's story.

I definitely think this book and its author have a lot of potential. I can really see this book working as a movie. In fact, while I was reading this book, I kept picturing Revenge actress Ashley Madewke as Kindle. And I bet the soundtrack would rock!

I think that if you like music and romance, then you'll like A Happy Accident. This self-published book is available to purchase in paperback or as a Kindle Edition e-book from Amazon.

Comments