Philly Cheesesteak Sandwich

Philly Cheesesteak with dipping sauce
My husband loves Philly Cheesesteaks, and I have made some before using an expensive cut of meat, which means I don't make them often. So imagine my delight when I found a recipe for Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches that used deli roast beef AND were low-carb and low-sugar! Again, I cannot stop singing the praises of Rocco Dispirito's Now Eat This! cookbooks.

Unfortunately, this recipe isn't shared on Rocco's Pinterest page, so I can't print it for you here due to copyright laws. But I can say that the recipe is super easy and a perfect weeknight meal.

If you purchase the cookbook or check it out from your library, here are some tips for making this gluten-free:

1. You'll need gluten-free bread. The picture above is my non-gluten-free sandwich. I used a whole wheat hamburger bun.
2. The recipe calls for chicken and beef broth. Make sure the broths you use are gluten-free.
3. Make sure your roast beef is gluten-free. We always go for Thumann's, but Boar's Head is a good choice. And our A&P has a store brand of deli meat that you can get at the deli counter that is also gluten-free. If you can read the original packaging at the deli counter, check it out and make sure it says gluten-free.

And then just something else to keep in mind:

1. The original recipe calls for ketchup. I've NEVER had ketchup on a Philly Cheesesteak, so we left that out.
2. I did use a cut up green bell pepper, but when it came to my sandwich, I didn't eat the pepper. I just don't like it, but I do like the flavor it passes on to everything else. And my husband eats peppers, so it was really left in for him.

Comments