Loaded Cauliflower Casserole

Well, even though recent blood tests have determined that my glucose levels are normal and I am not diabetic or pre-diabetic, I'm still on a low-carb kick. It was coincidence that right when I was starting to look for low-carb meals that someone I follow pinned a low-carb recipe on Pinterest. I was so excited to try out this Loaded Cauliflower Casserole because it was described as being like mac and cheese but with cauliflower. After eating this, I would say it wasn't like mac and cheese. It was more like a loaded baked potato casserole, but instead of high carb white potatoes, you use steamed cauliflower florets. And chives. And bacon. And cheddar cheese. And cream cheese. And Monterey Jack cheese. Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so good.

I didn't have to change anything to make this gluten-free. But here are some tips:

1. I didn't know how to steam cauliflower, and the recipe doesn't tell you how. It just says to do it. So I Googled how to do it and here is what I found: place 1/4 inch of water in a pan. Bring the water to a boil. Add 1/2 tsp of salt and cleaned broccoli florets. Cover the pan and let the cauliflower steam for 3-8 minutes. I did 5 minutes, but I think 8 would have been better.

2. This recipe calls for 4 tablespoons of heavy cream. Because I'm sort of on a health kick, I used 4 tablespoons of fat-free evaporated milk. I'm sure most brands are gluten-free, but Carnation says "gluten-free" on the can, so I like to go with that brand.

What are your feelings on cauliflower? Honestly, I wasn't sure what to think, but I'm totally on board with using cauliflower as a potato substitute from now on! I even have a mashed "potato" recipe that uses cauliflower that I can't wait to try.





Comments