Boston Blue Chicken and Apple Salad - Minus the Apples

I was totally serious about the whole low carb, low sugar thing. Two days ago I showed you a breakfast item that I liked, and now here's a lunch item. Boston Blue Chicken and Apple Salad is also from Rocco Dispirito's Now Eat This! Diet cookbook.

First off, I left out the apples. Why? I'm allergic to them (unless they are cooked or juiced). I also opted for six chicken breast tenders instead of four chicken breasts. I find that the breast tenders are MUCH easier to cook than the chicken breasts, especially when you have to grill them. I couldn't find reduced-fat crumbled blue cheese, so I just used regular crumbled blue cheese. Not really sure what that does to the calorie count of this lunch salad, but there's nothing I can do about that. My grocery store didn't carry reduced-fat blue cheese! I did however find Ken's Light Options Olive Oil and Vinegar, as the recipe suggests. And that dressing is gluten-free. I did NOT toast my chopped walnuts. I just don't have time for that.

Of course, you can omit the walnuts altogether and save yourself 48 calories per serving. You can also omit the cheese to reduce the calorie count, but who wants a salad without cheese? It puts the "blue" in the Boston BLUE Chicken and Apple Salad!

I got all of this ready on a Sunday to eat during the week. I divided the cooked chicken into four small microwavable bowls. I brought the bottle of dressing with me to work and left it in my office's fridge. I divided all the other ingredients in four Rubbermaid food containers so that everything was ready to go and easy to transport. All I needed to do was heat up the chicken in its own container in my office's microwave, put it on top of the salad fixings, drizzle 1/2 tbsp. of dressing on top, and EAT. Super easy and delicious.

If you haven't checked out this cookbook, I highly recommend doing so. There are lots of great recipes for pasta, provided that you use whole wheat pasta, and chocolate desserts. I also checked out the original Now Eat This! cookbook from my library and am looking forward to making some of those low-calorie, low-carb, low-sugar recipes as well.

Some of those recipes are in my Low-Carb, Low-Sugar Pinterest board, so check it out!

Comments